Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 2 with Tom & our Homemade Pizza Recipe

Day 2 with Tom has been productive.
In between steam inhalations, trips back to the doctor & pharmacy and cuddles we've been trying out loads of new recipes. Including apple porridge, wholemeal cinnamon scrolls, almond milk and an afternoon smoothie.

But this afternoon Hannah & I made some delicious wholemeal pizza.



Did I mention already it was delicious? No, ok well it was delicious! Just ask Hannah...

At dinner time we were all sitting around the table quietly munching (or gobbling) our pizza, and I do not tell a lie or exaggerate this at all, but all of a sudden Hannah breaks the quiet and pipes up;

"Mummy." *long thoughtful pause* "This pizza should be at the shop."
Me: "Huh Hannah. What do you mean?"
Hannah: "I mean it should be at the shop!" (slight frustration mounting at my incomprehension!)
Me: "You mean that you really like the pizza Hannah?"
Hannah: "Yes, I really like this pizza! We should make it for the shop..."
Me: "Ohhhh, you think we should make and sell this pizza?"
Hannah: "Yep".

Well, out of the mouths of babes...
I have to tell you that this is a first for my total fuss pot of a child! Seriously I spent the first 3 and a half years of her life trying to get her to eat anything. Anything at all! And now all of a sudden in the same week she's told me (without being prompted!) that my homemade nuggets are better than McDonald's and that we should sell our pizza in a shop.
Classic!
So this recipe needs to be documented for further use before I forget what I did because I will be using it again ;)

So...

I made this in my thermomix but you can easily adapt it for whatever tools you normally would use at your house.
Also, I better note that the base recipe makes enough for 2 large pizza bases (think domino's pizza large) but the toppings are only enough for 1 pizza because 1 is enough for us and I chose to freeze the other base (you can't half the base recipe that I adapted apparently).
So double the topping ingredients if you choose to make both pizzas, or make 1 base with topping & freeze the other plain for next time like I did.


love the concentration!


Ingredients:

Base:
280grams of water
30grams of instant yeast
20grams of oil
1tsp salt
500grams of wholemeal flour

Sauce:
1 tsp of garlic puree or 1 small clove of crushed garlic
1 1/2 Tbsns of additive free tomato puree
1 1/2 Tbsns of additive free tomato sauce

Topping:
2 roma tomatoes
1/2 a courgette
1 1.5cm cube of parmesan cheese
To finish:
Grated Mozzarella cheese to taste (We probably used about 3/4 of a cup).
And Hannah insisted that we have a tomato sliced in rounds on top also. Sheesh, so bossy! ;)

Instructions to make:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius fan forced.

Dough:
Combine all ingredients in the thermomix put onto knead for 1 1/2 minutes (or mix & knead as you normally would a dough).
Pop into an oiled boil, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise until it doubles in size.

While your dough is rising you can assemble your sauce & topping.
I just put all the ingredients for the sauce into a small cup and mixed to combine. Set aside until needed.

Topping:
If your mozzarella is not already grated then pop this into the thermomix bowl and process for 10 seconds on speed 5. Set aside in a small bowl.

Cut tomatoes in half & courgette into a few big chunks. Put into Thermomix bowl with cheese and process on speed 5 for about 10 seconds or until nicely chunky.
Set aside in the thermomix bowl until needed. 


Once your dough has risen separate out into 2 balls. 
Press out the first onto a lightly oiled pizza dish (or standard oven tray) until you get the desired size. I simply just use my hands to flatten it and work it out evenly to the edges.
Cover evenly with your sauce, topping, Mozzarella & sliced tomato in that order.




Pop in your oven and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
While it's cooking you can flatten your other dough into a pizza base & cover in foil or plastic wrap to freeze. Then next time it will be even quicker.

Next time I will try it with milled whole wheat flour or spelt flour for even more nutrition.
Pretty healthy for pizza really though.

If you give it a go I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :)


5 comments :

Quilting In The Cold said...

Looks delicious! I have never tried pizzas with whole meal flour but will give them a try now. I can highly recommend adding a bit of spelt it makes the pizzas really crispy and yummy.

susan said...

Watch out. Hannah will become like Emily and only the best will do soon!

Sarah said...

Looks tasty to me!

Cherie said...

The pizza looks good! I like to combine wholemeal with plain flour when making pizza =D

Tammi said...

Isn't it amazing the difference 'real food' makes? So good to hear that this journey is making such a huge difference so early on Kat :)
Homemade pizza is quite a popular menu item here..we eat it fortnightly at least and it's great for using up leftovers in the fridge.