Sunday, July 8, 2012

A New Start...

I've always had an interest in natural environmental studies!... Most of the friends I've made in my adulthood probably don't know this about me, but the first degree I ever studied towards my majors were Geography, Environmental Studies & Developmental Studies.
And I was really good at it too...
Not that I finished;
- We had to transfer cities for Mr Flutter's work & I decided not to continue via correspondence....
But that's not the point ;)

Then life happened.
Years passed...
I became a mother...
And I started to experience that "mother fog" known as incomprehensible exhaustion that I'm sure all mothers out there have experienced!
At that point life {for me} became more about choosing things for convenience rather than necessarily "best" for our health or environment (not that the two are always mutually exclusive. Just stating my thinking)...


I also experienced at times what can only be described as a very tight grocery budget, which all of a sudden had to incorporate all things baby as well as just food!
Choices became almost exclusively about what was cheapest over what was necessarily the healthiest.

All this time though I've continued to have "natural" in the back of my brain...
It's been an unshakeable niggle...
But laziness & convenience have still been winning out.

Until now!


Over the last couple of months I have watched my kids get one sickness after another until really their "sick days" are far outnumbering their "well days".
I've lost count of how many prescriptions of antibiotics we've needed this year.
Which is not cool. Not cool at all!

By society's standards we live pretty "normally".
But I know I could certainly be doing even better for us. And the environment.
I want to make a new start!

So what does this 'new start' mean for me?

   **  It means firstly slowing down & taking notice more.... 
instead of just shopping is a hurry and giving it no further thought.

   **  Researching more about food, nutrition & what I'm feeding my family.

   **  Dare I say it (because I'm well known over at my other diary for not having a love of the kitchen!!) cooking more from scratch.

   **  Trying to eliminate as many packaged foods from my pantry as I can & focussing on a more natural, fresh, whole foods diet.

   **  Going an even further step & trying to eliminate as many other chemicals from my house as possible. For example laundry detergents, dishwashing detergents, cleaners and cosmetics (eeek that one scares me!!).

   **  Trying (hahaha my hopes are not high for this one - I have a notoriously bad black thumb!) to grow at least some fresh produce. Even if that just means herbs for now.

   **  Buying organic where possible.

So why this new diary?

Well... basically - why not?!
I've been thinking about starting this blog for a few weeks now. But to be honest I first wanted to make sure that I was really committed to this - I didn't want to start something that I'd let fizzle in a month or twos time.
But I am committed. It's not necessarily all want for me, I also feel strongly that it's become a need.

- Much of my quiet over on my main online diary over the last month or so has been because I've been trying a new slower pace, and I've been putting more effort into the things above.

It's been a start of lots of small steps. But I just know that lots of small steps can eventually lead to great places.
So I'm hoping this new diary will help track my progress {and keep me accountable} as I get there.

I hope you will join me {and help encourage me to persist} on the journey



16 comments :

Sarah Pings said...

Fantastic idea to let us share your journey Kat, can't wait, I know we'll all learn good stuff ...

Dolores said...

This all sounds great Kat, I think that it is a good approach if you can make the time for it. Personally, I do try to watch how much packaged food comes into our house, I do cook our meals from scratch - I really dislike using jars and packets of things but on the other hand I let myself off a night or two and let the kids have fish fingers or baked beans (the latter being quite good if you get the reduced salt), I've even revived the jaffle! I think it's hard to maintain 100%.

Anyway, I was going to say that I was alarmed to hear about the amount of antibiotics that have been prescribed by your GP. My GPs (I see two at the same surgery as our main doctor can be hard to get an appt with) are really hesitant to prescribe antibiotics for the kids, even for ear infections. They usually say to wait 24-48 hrs to see whether they improve on their own or get worse in which case they are happy to start AB. They also look at their history to see when was the last time they had antibiotics. I think what they're doing is trying to let the kids own immunity deal with whatever bug they have first. Just thought I'd mention it, not sure if you're doctor is over-prescribing or not. I also started my kids on a multi-vitamin (they look like jelly babies) because we have also had our fair share of illness over the last couple of years (including Scarlett Fever last year) and I have a terrible time getting my kids to eat vegies. Unfortunately, I think it's just a normal part of childhood.

dxx

susan said...

Once you get into the home cooking thing it is hard to go back and then convenience becomes a treat and only occasional. I'll email you some recipe time saving type things if you want or if you need. Let me know.

Flying Blind... said...

Wishing you good luck; I'll be watching xxx

Carolyn said...

Good luck on this new journey. I eat very few foods with preservatives because of allergies, making almost everything from scratch. Once you start you will see that is not too hard to make small changes that can lead to great results. I can't wait to see the new things you will try.

Sarah said...

Best of luck, I'll be following avidly!

Cherie said...

Great plan I'll be following along to see how you do =D

tartankiwi said...

Good luck, sounds like a great idea, curious what you'll come up with!

Lisa Cox said...

I think this is a great idea. I try to eat as natural as possible, though it can be kinda tough with a limited budget.
I had to cut a lot of things out of my diet when I found out that MSG was triggering my migraines. There went so many of the convenience foods that I used. The hardest part is reading the ingredient label on everything. Grocery shopping takes so much longer now, LOL.

Leanne said...

Great idea and good luck. I work on a balance, life is busy so one cannot be perfect. One thing I try to do much more of is buying locally produced foods - meat, vegetables, baking, etc. and organic whenever possible (although price can be an issue on that one for sure). I hate to mention that if you are not a fabric prewasher, you might want to look into the amount of pesticides and chemicals that are on that fabric until you wash them out (says your chemical hating prewasher friend). I am currently on a kick to do more cooking from scratch too (my hubby does much of the cooking but he is not that keen on it) so maybe I can join in with you on that.

Tammi said...

This is exciting!! You know where I stand on this and I am only too happy to offer you encouragement along the way as well as share recipes for green cleaners etc.
Must get onto organising that preserves day with the girls :)
x

DebbieH said...

Fantastic stuff! I cook most of our meals from scratch but still buy things such as bread, yoghurt etc. It would be great to make these too but I need a little more time in my life to sort out other things first! But cleaning chemicals etc - definitely something that I need to be more vigilant about (yet again!). xx

My So Sew Life said...

Good for you Kat, we have taken some of the same decisions regarding our health in our household. We have been spurred on by my husband finding out about his very high blood pressure at only 45. We have made some big changes and everyone is feeling better for it, even the kids who were a little resistant at first. One resource I have found really helpful re healthy eating is a website called The Healthy Chef, it's run by a woman called Teresa Cutter (I think that's the right name) she has some brilliant recipes including a large section on desserts! You might find her site helpful. Good luck with the new blog.

Nicky said...

Looks like you have quite a following already! Well done Kat! I probably need to cut down on pre-cooked stuff too and no better time than in the hols!

Tracey said...

Great idea, l'll be following both your blogs now.
I use tea tree oil around the house, in a mop bucket for the floors and in a squirty bottle mixed with water for in the kitchen and bathrooms as its a natural anti bacterial. Smells nice and clean too.
I also use it on the kids and dog for cuts.
I do the cooking from scratch every so often but for me it does seem a fad. I'll be intrested to see how you get on, it might encourage me abit.
Good luck.

Cassandra said...

I'm looking forward to your new blog and posts! I too want to make steps toward a healthier lifestyle and I look forward to seeing what you accomplish. :)