Monday, July 23, 2012

Planting our garden...

Today Hannah & I planted a {little} garden...


It's a small start, of mostly herbs, but it is a start at least.

We have...
Coriander, Italian flat leafed parsley (we already have the other parsley in our front garden), rosemary, mint, fennel, chives, rocket, oregano, stevia, a variety of lettuce & cauliflowers.

We purchased a selection of some organic & some standard herbs in pots to plant. Typically the organic ones were twice the price, however, they were also at least twice the size so I felt a bit justified in the extra expense.

The vegetables especially are all planted a bit too close together for now & will probably need re potting at some point in the future, but that's assuming I can even keep them alive in the first place.
I have such a black thumb, so if we work on a 50% hit rate (which to be honest is optimistic) then we should be right ;)

I'll keep you posted on their survival rate...


8 comments :

DebbieH said...

Good stuff! There is nothing like picking your own herbs and veggies fresh from the garden :)

Leanne said...

A lovely start. Fresh herbs are the best and they are not hard to grow. You will need some more space for them all soon, just keep them damp but not bogged down - overwatering is worse than underwatering, and they should thrive.

Regina said...

How is your ground for planting? I had great success last year making planting tubs out of plastic buckets and storage bins - some easy DIY instructions but it extends your growing season and lets you control what is in the soil. I can email you the instructions if you are interested. It works wonderfully for tomatoes and squash and other thirsty plants as it gives them a constant water supply. Your herbs look happy - best of luck! Even black thumbs can be retrained - especially with your motivation!!!

susan said...

Hope you are better at this growing lark than I am!!

Cherie said...

Don't worry about herbs. Most are actually evergreen. Even if they die down they usually spring back up again in full force the next time round =D

Tammi said...

Most impressive Kat :) I am most surprised at how well our herbs are growing..black thumbed me and all and I even noticed that my brocollini is flourishing too.
Where did you purchase your stevia plant from? I had one in NZ and would love to get a few here.
x

Quilting In The Cold said...

Good for you!! The one way I can get the kids to eat veggies is if they have grown it and pick it themselves. It is amazing what you can grow in pots, we have even managed a few carrots this year.

Cassandra said...

It's looking good so far! I'm interested to see how everything goes. I want to plant a container garden on my patio too.