Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The start of the new start...

Lets start at the very beginning...
A very good place to start...
When you read you begin with ABC...
When you sing you begin with Do-Re-Me...


Haha betcha have the song in your head now ;)
Me too...


Anyway I figured yesterday that a good place to start with my "new start" was to go through my cupboards & fridge, clean them out, organise them, and work out a shopping list.
Then go shopping actually in person for a change and buy what I needed this week.


{I've been doing my groceries almost exclusively online now for 2 years. It's SO convenient but it does make it very hard in choosing foods without additives, because the ingredients information isn't available online. Also you don't get to choose your own fruit & vegetables.
This week I wanted to check out our local green & organic market this week to see what I was missing...}


So first I cleaned out...
I even moved around a lot of the food so that the food groupings now make a little bit more sense.
I should have taken before pictures, but here it is looking all tidy & shiny (for about a day no doubt)...




I'm pretty pleased with how little "packet" food there is already. We have a way to go yet in eliminating all the additives & stuff in our cupboards, but it's progress...

Some new ingredients also popped into my trolley this week at the organic market. Ingredients that my cupboards have never seen before. Here are a few of them...


The almonds are destined to be made into a flour substitute & a milk substitute to try, the sunflower & linseeds are destined to be made into bread, the rapadura sugar is something I want to try as a sugar substitute and the cacao butter - well I'm not 100% sure what that's destined for yet. But I'm sure I'll have fun coming up with something for that.
Also not pictured is coconut oil which I apparently need to make my own almond milk.

I'll keep you posted on how that all goes. I have a new gizmo arriving sometime this week to help me out with all of this (thank goodness or I'm starting to think I'd never get to sew again) which is hopefully going to save me a lot of time & work. I'm hoping it will have arrived by Thursday so watch this space!

Tomorrow I have my first recipe to share here. Easy peasy homemade nuggets. They were yummy & went down a treat with the kids.
See you tomorrow :)






5 comments :

Tammi said...

Good on you Kat, you are making great progress.
Where did you read that you need coconut oil to make almond milk? I simply soak my almonds in water over night drain, throw in my blender with some fresh water and blitz...walah, almond milk :)
Best to order coconut oil online as it's far cheaper than the health shop.
Think about soaking all your nuts too to activate them and make them easily digestable...you can still lightly roast them after soaking.
Cacao nibs or powder are also something else to consider :)
Your mind is probably buzzing with information overload at the moment but as I said..baby steps.
x

susan said...

Look at you go! Is this the same woman? I am very impressed and proud of you. You never do anything by half.

Cherie said...

A great start, cleaning out your cupboards is always the right thing to do first...it's crazy all the things you find lurking in the back =D

Sarah said...

So are you going vegan with this then? Good "puddings" for the kids are just putting some frozen banana (slice it up a wee bit to help it along) and some frozen berries - put in a decent blender (hand held works) and you can put it in recyled pots and either serve right away as "ice cream" or put in freezer for later. If you want it sweeter, then the night before put 4 - 6 dates in a cup and cover with boiling water, next day you add the water, the dates (not the stones) to the blender!

Cassandra said...

Your cupboards look awesome! Way to go on a great start. :D