Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Some new lunch box favourites...

I'm really proud to say that over 2 months after I set myself the challenge of our journey to more healthy & "natural" eating, we are still {mostly} still going "great guns."
{She says whilst sitting here eating chocolate. Ahem. ;) }
But despite my persistent sweet tooth we've been continuing to slowly change some ingredients in our pantries to more natural cousins...

I have already noticed some great health benefits for myself. I am feeling SO much more energetic and sleeping a lot better (when allowed by my children to that is ;) ). I've also lost 4 kgs without even trying. (Probably aided by high stress, but usually I put on weight when I'm stressed, so this really is a first!).

One of the areas I've been designating some time to recently are our packed lunches.
While I try not to buy heavily packaged food a lot of the time because I'm concious of the extra waste & expense they bring, it is nice to have a few on hand either for special treats for the kids or emergency situations where we've run out of home made/baked etc...

So these are some of my new favourite "natural" alternatives for Hannah's packed lunches:


I've found that it's amazing what you can find out when you actually stand there and read the packaging of things. Often the more natural choices (with less or no additives/numbers) are not even more expensive (than the other individually packaged food items) and some cases they're even cheaper.
But lets not kid myself, they are still more expensive than me making my own yoghurt or cutting up a block of cheese myself etc...

It's also really nice to see Woolworths dedicating more space in their supermarkets to both organic & wholefoods now too. It really makes it a lot easier to shop!

This is an example of the types of food Hannah takes for lunch...


Lucky for me she is a girl of routine and actually doesn't mind taking a sandwich every day.
I try and give her a good selection of at least 4 other things as well as her sandwich...
We call it a "treasure box". Usually she has a small piece of "treasure" in it (in this case it was the novelty of a "squeezy yoghurt") along with a selection of other things for example rice biscuits/corn thins, strawberries or other small berries, crackers, popcorn, dried fruit, home baking etc...

In addition they also have to take a piece of whole fruit for "sip & crunch" - Mid morning they all sit in a circle and they share all the fruit on platters that the teacher help has cut up along with a drink of water. So I tend not to go overboard on the fruit in her lunch box in addition to that.

I still feel like I could improve on the variety and things for the main portion of her lunch though. Especially for when she goes to school full time next year.

Have you got any great lunch box suggestions?


5 comments :

Dolores said...

Sushi rolls and home made popcorn. The sushi takes a bit of effort.

Susan Standen said...

Mine will eat just about anything in a wrap. Sushi always goes down a treat. And, surprisingly, they like cold pasta with sauce if some is leftover from dinner.

Cherie said...

We used to take in cold pasta/pasta sandwiches. Tortilla wraps are an alternative to bread. We'd have fruit and yoghurts too as well as something a bit sweeter as a treat. =D

Bec Reddick said...

hey hun, here is a cute page I found with lunch box ideas (when I was looking for myself)

http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=1456020766&k=KW76z5j

also this lady is AMAZING, such cute lunches!

http://www.meetthedubiens.com/search/label/bento%20boxes

Bec xxx

Cassandra said...

I'm not very good at lunchboxes so I don't really have any suggestions! I just wanted to say kudos for sticking with it!! You go, girl!